....... A Journey through this life ... desiring to be filled with Grace, Mercy and Prayer.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Needing to be Kneaded





















Homeschooling brings me such joy as I get to teach and learn and participate with my children. We all get to ask questions, to learn from each other and sometimes ... fail ... with each other.

Have you ever made Bannock bread? It's a new bread that we learned about as we study Medieval Times.

My daughter joins with me in making this quick and easy bread for our family.

My desire to mold her in to the lady that God would have her be brings us together to mold and shape this loaf of bread.

I can feel His molding of me too. Kneading, pulling, shaping. I need to be kneaded. She needs to kneaded.

Sometimes we both resist... these two people who are more alike than she or I would like to admit.

Funny how God keeps kneading me ... patiently, wisely. I long for that wisdom in kneading her.

We learn, we grow ... together. Lovingly making this gift for our family.

You too can make Bannock Bread ...

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp soda
2 T butter, room temp.
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temp.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Work in butter with your fingers or cut with two knives until the mixture resembles moist bread crumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make the dough moist and sticky to the hand.... allow the flour to absorb the buttermilk. Knead lightly until the dough is well mixed and loses its stickiness, adding more flour if necessary. Turn into a 7 or 8 inch greased cake pan. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes. When done, remove bread and carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool. The bread should not be sliced until it has set for at least 6 hours. Enjoy!


This post is linked to:
Raising Homemakers

1 comment:

  1. Sweet picture, little Miss Abigail. Keep kneading, wonderful way to apply it to life, and sure the bread is going to be good too. FB

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun. Comments are neat. Especially when they're oh so sweet! I thank you very much for leaving one!